School District 118 was established June 24, 1891 by a petition of the majority of legal voters and residents. D. W. Yoder was County Superintendent of Schools for Marion County at this time.
In 1902 a Union Sunday School was formed and conducted at the schoolhouse under
the direction of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Williams and their daughter Mable (now Mrs.
Mr. Joe Albert, who owned considerable property in this area which he named
the Auburn Subdivision, was so pleased that the Sunday School — and hence the school
were named “Auburn”, that he donated a large sum toward the purchase of the Sunday
School piano.The late Rev. Poling, Sr. , of the Salem Presbyterian Church was supervising minister for this Sunday School.
First record of a teacher hired was in 1903, Marion Hetrick – for a salary of
$35. 00 per month for a seven month period.Then in 1904 Evelyn Nash, who started
at $45. 00 and received a raise each year until in 1907 she received $60. 00, was teacher.
Directors at this time were Martin Hohl, A. Williams, and Prof. J. J. Krapps
(operator of a Normal School in Salem).Other early directors were W. Mathey, C.
Bradley, and A. Perlich.
In 1923 the original one room building was sold and moved to a location on
“Misery Alley” (now Monroe Ave. ,) and converted into a residence by Mr. Krapps
and Mr. Brownlee. At this time the first two rooms of the present old building were
constructed at a cost of $10, 500.
In 1937 a room was added at a total cost of $9, 240. but at a cost of only $1, 200 to the school district as the labor and some material were provided by the P. W. A- with labor being done by the W. P. A. A play shed was also constructed but collapsed during a snow storm within a few years. In 1938 another room was constructed for $4,762.
Auburn School was one of the first schools to consider consolidation with the Salem Schools and in 1946 the board which included John Olson, E. C. Sunderlin and Lloyd Lee met with Agnes Booth (as representatives of Dist. 118) and Mrs. Faye Wright and Mr Bennett (representing Dist. 24) to discuss the matter. As a result Auburn, Dist. 118, became consolidated with Salem. Dist. 24 and has remained as such.
In 1955 the present new building was completed at the cost of $248,631.95. It is a brick veneer and frame building with 8 classrooms, multi-purpose room, library, office, health center and special education room Dr Walter Snyder was Superintendent of School District 24CJ at this time.