From “Progress Report: 100 Years of Education in Marion County” 1957
The total cost of the original 14 rooms auditorium two playrooms, principal’s office and teachers’ room was $192, 531. 83. The local district provided $115, 036. 83 The remainder of $77, 495. 00 was secured from the U. S. Government through a W. P grant. The name of the school was in honor of a pioneer banker, Asahel Bush, who was al a newspaper man.
The basement was designed for two playrooms and two music rooms which were l er used for lunch rooms and classrooms. The ground floor was designed for the first three grades and the second floor for the intermediate grades. In 1939 the third grade were moved to the second floor and the sixth grades were transferred to the ground floor because the oldest students were needed for cafeteria and other type helpers In the original planning, four classrooms were to be added at each end of the build ing with a gym under the auditorium, however, in 1949 six classrooms and two additional lavatories were added on the north end for a total cost of $102,402.
Bush was the first elementary school in Salem with an intercommunications system It was also unusual because fireplaces were installed in the first grade rooms Mr. Walter Beck was principal from 1942 – 1956. Mr. A1 Hoerauf became principal in the fall of 1956. The enrollment this year is 460 in 17 classrooms.