At one time our Englewood district was included in the J. L. Parrish 640 acre donation land claim. Later it was divided into smaller farms. 2. Before Englewood School was built all the children from these small f arms attend- ed Washington School, located at 12th and Center Streets. People thought this was too great a distance for the little children, so the school board began to plan and work for a school right here where Englewood is now.
In November 1909 the school board committee bought the front strip of our school yard for $1500. The school board felt that this would not be enough land for our school grounds so they decided to try to buy the adjoining piece of property from a Mr. Miller When the committee first talked to Mr. Miller about selling part of his f arm for the school grounds he refused. The committee told him that with such little land they had purchased, the school would have to be built in such a way that from his house and barn he would never be able to see the western sky or the sun set. Mr. Miller decided to sell the land and move his house and barn. Mr. Miller’s well for water was located where our auditorium now stands. He had a vegetable garden at almost the same place as the main part of the building. was built. The fir trees in front of the building were here before our building was built.
Since there was not enough money in the building fund to pay for the building of the school, the school district had to borrow the money. Two loans in the form of bonds were arranged. One bond was for $20, 000. and the other was for $10, 000. There was no city water nor sewers in this district then, so a water system and sewage disposal had to be planned for. Two wells were dug to supply the school with 44 water pumps were installed in the room that is now room 4, on the first floor. The planning and building of the water and sewage systems cost about $3000. There was electricity out here then, but there were no streets and no sidewalks. The school board committee was given $20. to buy shrubs for the school grounds. The chestnut tree, linden tree, holly trees, and cedar trees are all still on our grounds. Our school was finished and ready for use in October 1910.
The school had eight classrooms. Open House was held when the school opened. In 1934 the auditorium addition was constructed at the south end of our building. In 1950 a 6 classroom addition was constructed at the north end of our building.