FOUR CORNERS SCHOOL
Construction of Four Corners School was completed in September, 1949. The first principal was Arthur Myers. The school served the area of the old Rickey (Dist. 8) School, part of the Auburn School district and pupils transported from an area that is now served by Hoover School. The bolding was composed of eight classrooms, a multi-purpose room, a library, a kitchen and a music room. In 1949, there were eight teachers. In 1950, Virgil Lamb became principal and served until October 15 of that year when he was recalled to active duty with the Army and Mr. Boyd Hillesland replaced him until his return in 1952. The first enrollment of the school numbered about two hundred and at the present time it has grown to about three hundred with eleven teachers. To care for the additional pupil load the library and music rooms were used for classrooms in 1955 and 1956. In the summer of 1956, four additional classrooms were added to the building and also one set of restrooms. The new rooms were used~~ this year for the first time and the library and music rooms are free for their origiN-4 al purposes.
Activities of the school include the publication of the student paper, “The Echo” a fall open house held in conjunction with the Mothers’ Club annual dinner, a Spring Festival and open house each May and assembly programs presented for the parents by each room. The student government consists of an elected slate of officers and representatives from each room make up the student council. Student body officers change twice a year with the vice president automatically becoming the next president. Four Corners School has a very active parent organization known as “The Four Corners School Mothers’ Club”. It has presented the school with many useful items including the public address system, projectors, and drapes, as well as effectively interpreting the school program to the public. The most recent project of the entire Four Corners School student body has been the construction of a large mosaic mural depicting the arrival of pioneers to early Oregon. It is on permanent display in the school library.
The Four Corners School is very proud of its Bicycle Safety program. This program includes a bicycle proficiency riding test given each year. Licenses are issues to those successfully completing the tests. The teachers of Four Corners School have served on numerous curriculum and other educational committees of the Salem district. In addition to this committee work, teachers continue their professional training, and at the present time four hold the Masters Degree in Education.