Haynesville School had its beginning in 1858 when Adam Stephens, one of the first of the early pioneers to settle in the area, donated lumber from his neighboring sawmill to build a schoolhouse on his property. A second one-room structure was built in 1882, a short distance north of site of the first building. The 1882 schoolhouse was located on what is now the press site of Haynesville School.
It stands immediately north of the R. H. Baldock Freeway interchange and on the west side of the old Portland highway, now known as Portland Road and U. S. Highway 99E. It was Joseph J. Based who donated the land on Which present schoolhouse is located. An interesting account concerning the old 1882 structure was found in a report which was filled out by a teacher regarding the then aging building. In answer to the question, “What means of ventilation, good or bad? ” she wrote, “Plenty of ventilation through the roof and walls. “
On October 10, 1898, a new teacher came to the school. Her name was Miss Me Hobart, later she became Mrs. Meda Hobart Brandt. As a rather interesting sideline Medals granddaughter, Katherine Brandt, is now teaching in Salem at Middle Grove School. Meda was also a first cousin to the father of Mrs. Ethel Hobart Carothers ., is presently teaching at Hayesville. Before her death in 1951, Meda related to Mrs. Carothers about an incident involving a band of gypsies. The school doors were kept tightly closed, but the children were allowed to go out to have their fortunes told, Having no money the children were the only ones who profited experience wise. The school at that time had no well and water was carried in a bucket from a net, bar’s well. The bucket was placed in the school and a common dipper served everyone.
This old schoolhouse was moved from its foundations to make way for a new school which was completed in 1909. There was an important feature that went with the new one room building. For the first time in over fifty years, the school had its own well ! As the community grew, there came a need for a larger school to house an increasing number of children. Consequently, on August 23, 1924, a meeting was held to decide what should be done. For some reason it was decided that they should keep the old one for a while longer. However, as the story goes, fate decreed that a new schoolhouse should be built, and late that same night the old building mysteriously burned to the ground.
A few days after the 1924 fire, it was decided to build a $10, 000 two-room school. On December 5, 1924, it was appropriately dedicated and a free chicken dinner was served to all. Mrs. Mary Fulkerson, then the county school superintendent, complimented the community on the splendid showing they had made. A picture of this then ultra modern structure appears in several old Oregon history texts as an example of the excellent school facilities to be found in rural Oregon.
The new building, presently serving as the front two rooms of the new five-room structure, was constructed to include a folding door between the rooms and a stage at one end. A third room was added about 1935, followed by a central hall and a fourth room in 1938 on the north side of the hall. The fifth room,~-an office for the principal, a conference room and a combination storeroom and boiler-room were constructed after the district voted to consolidate with Salem School District 24CJ. This took place on September 12, 1949, with 102 voting for and 17 against the proposal. Upon consolidation the seventh and eighth grades were transported to Salem to attend Parrish Junior High School.
For the school year 1956-57 the sixth grade, totaling 14 pupils, were transported to two other suburban schools.