The Keizer Community lies on the northern fringe of Salem, Oregon. It is one of the fast-growing suburban areas in Oregon. Charles William Pugh, son of John Martin Pugh and Sally Ann Claggett, was born November 7, 1854 at Claggett. He was married to Joan Hamilton on October 3, 1875 The couple resided on their farm in the Claggett District, later called Keizer.
Mr Pugh studied law at Willamette University and was always civic minded. He believed in schools and churches, and promoted these ideas as his father before him had done by donating land for school and church purposes. He gave an acre of land for the school site, where Keizer School now stands. The old log building, where he attended school was a little north of the present school, on land owned by his father. A new building was constructed on the present location about 1880.
The name of the school was changed from Claggett to Keizer at a later date. The name Keizer came from Mr. J. B. Keizer, an early home-steader, who was also civic minded and who helped in the development of the Keizer School District This district, at first a farming community, has many small farms in the area today, where hops and fruit crops are raised.
The Keizer School District comprises a tract of about eleven and three-fourths square miles Development of the School Plant In 1911. a building containing four classrooms and full basement was constructed on the present site of the school plant. It has not been possible to field the cost of this building but the replacement value today (1952) of this original construction is estimated at $50, 000. 00
Keizer began its first period of growth soon after the construction of this building and in 1939 the first wing of the new building was begun. It consisted of four class rooms, a health room, a teachers’ lounge, a kitchen, an auditorium, and the principal’s office. The cost of this building was $131, 300, 00; the funds were provided by a special bonding program. Families began to move north from Salem into Keizer and in 1948 an addition to the new building was necessary. It consisted of ten classrooms at a cost of $144, 026 This upswing in enrollment made it necessary to bond the district to capacity in order to add these rooms. The community had not yet reached its limits; f arms were divided into small tract new homes were built; and more people moved to Keizer. One year later, in 1949-50 it was necessary to add five classrooms, two storerooms, and a teachers’ lounge.