On June 30, 1908, a group of citizens submitted a petition to the Polk County School Superintendent, setting the boundaries for the Lincoln School District. This first school was located at lower Lincoln which was situated right down on the river. This was a thriving community supported by the river traffic. Grain was brought from near and far to the grist mill located there There was a church and a blacksmith shop and a huge warehouse and a big loading dock there on the river bank, The old schoolhouse was torn down, but the crumbling remains from the old warehouse can be seen there yet.
The river traffic died out and the bulk the population and the traffic shifted up to the present community of Lincoln.A new schoolhouse was built at the present site about 1912. This was a one-room structure with a big bell in a bell tower on the top. In both buildings all eight grades of classes were taught until the district was consolidated into the Salem City System.
Some of the teachers who taught at the present Lincoln School were Mrs. Mickey, who still lives at Lincoln, Mrs. Hammer, who also lives there. Mrs. Martin, the wife of the Assistant Superintendent also taught there at one time. In 1952 when the consolidation took place, Mrs. Lanta.Hirsch was the teacher. . After the consolidation the change to the present system of teaching only Grades I 4, 5, and 6 at Lincoln, with Grades 1, 2, and 3 being taught at Zena was begun. Grades 7 and 8 go in to Leslie Jr. High.
The Lincoln area now takes all of the children from the old districts of Spring Valley, Lincoln and Zena who are in Grades 4, 5, and 6. Lincoln School is located on Spring Valley Road just off of Wallace Road, 6 miles north of Salem. The old bell tower was removed because of a leak in the roof which did not seem to be easily repaired. The old bell was given to the old Lincoln Community Club. . This report was written by Vestal Loveall, teaching principal of the Lincoln School for the past five years.