MOUNTAIN VIEW SCHOOL
By: Caroline Blake, Principal
Mountain View School is located on Orchard Heights Road about two miles north and west of the heart of Salem. Perched as it is on the crest of a hill. Mountain View has a magnificent view of the surrounding Cascades Mountains.
In 1904 parents of children in this area decided that their children were having to walk too far to school. They petitioned to have a new district formed which would be made up of portions of Popcorn, Brush College, and West Salem school districts. The land on which the school stands was purchased from the Schindler family. The school was built by Mr. Livingston. This district has not always been called Mountain View but was at one time referred to as “Peanuts’ .
Thus as one traveled up Orchard Heights Road they saw two schools – – Peanuts and Popcorn. Thinking it rather undignified to have their children attend a school named Peanuts, the parents were finally able to have the name changed to Mountain View. During the years since 1904, Mountain View has had fifty seven teachers.
The first teacher was Mr. F. O. Seaton. Some of the teachers who taught in this school are still living in the district and still take a lively interest in school affairs. Mountain View started as a one room school, but as the population increased rooms had to be added until at the present time it is a “bulging” three room school Mountain View district consolidated with the Salem City School district in 1953.
There are now 83 students enrolled in the school in the first six grades. This school is truly a community school. The building is used as a meeting place for such organizations as the Farmer’s Union, the Mothers’ Club, and the Mountain View Community Club. The members of the entire community are interested in the school and are always ready to lend a helping hand when it is necessary.
The first school built by the Portland school district was erected in 1858 at a cost of about $4, 000. after being opposed by one of Portland’s leading citizens because the city would soon have to erect a jail and citizens could not afford the additional burden of a schoolhouse.