By: Glen Mick
The Pringle Community and School was named for the family of Virgil K. Pringle and his wife, Pherne Tabitha Brown, who were pioneers of 1846. Mr. Pringle was born in Connecticut, July 29, 1804, and died in Salem, March 24, 1887.
The Pringles with their seven children, Mrs. Brown, aged 63, her son Orus and her ‘brother-in-law left Independence, Missouri in the spring of 1846 with a large immigrant train bound for Oregon. It was Christmas day about two o’clock when they reached Salem, after many hardships, and travelling by foot the last stretch of the trip from near the site presently known as Corvallis, Oregon.
Pringle School District was established on April 16, 1856 as School District No. by William P. Pugh, county school superintendent. The land was donated to the school by the Pringles. This building was used until 1898, at which time a new building was constructed. In 1870, Maggie Rector was the teacher. Books in use in the school at that time- were Montgomery Geography, Spencer Penmanship, Davies Arithmetic, Clark Grammar, Nelson Reader, and Elementary Speller.
The building used at this time was bull. in 1855 and valued at $600. The teacher was paid $17. 50 from district tax money and $72. 50 from the county fund. Number of quarters of school taught was listed as one, and the number of scholars in attendance was 20. In 1935 the W. P. A. built two new rooms, now the multi-purpose room.
In 1946, the Pleasant View school was consolidated with Pringle and that building was moved to the Pringle grounds. This was connected to the two new rooms. In 1948, Pringle was consolidated with the Salem Public Schools, District 24CJ. In 1952, 4 classrooms, office, teacher’s room and library were built and the multi- purpose room was remodeled.
The centennial of Pringle school was observed in 1956, at which time Wallace Turndle, a former pupil, was principal of the school. This observance was marked by an all-day program of varied events, culminated by an evening barbeque and speech by Mark Hatfield, soon to become Secretary of State. Oregon Territorial Legislature chartered “Walamet University” in Salem in 1853. Willamette University is the oldest institution of higher learning west of Missouri