The first school was held in the Roberts District in 1879 in a building on the site of the present Grange Hall. At that time the district was called Croston. The term was of 6 months duration extending from April 13, 1879, to October 3, 1879, with the exception of the month of August.
The first teacher was J. S. Stephens. His salary was thirty-three and one third dollars per month. Some of the pupils during the first term of this school are still living in or near Salem. They included Jesse Pettyjohn, Samuel Matheny, John Dyer, George Higgins, Ida Higgins, Edith Matheny, and Maude Fiddler. In 1901, the older half of the present Roberts schoolhouse was built at a cost of $1400.00, the money being borrowed from Ladd and Bush Bank.
The name of the school was changed to Live sly, as Mr. T. W. Livesly owned a very large hop ranch in the neighborhood. There were times when as many as 60 to 70 children were in school in the one room building.
In 1916, an addition was built on the east end of the schoolhouse, resulting in the building that is now being used.. About this time, the Livesley interests were sold to John J. Roberts and the name was changed to Roberts. The district was consolidated with Salem District 2.4CJ, in Jan., 1951.