Swegle School was first built around 1900. George Swegle donated the land for the school in the Garden Road area east of Salem. It was formerly part of District No. 3; then it became District No. 78 when school boundaries were changed.
In 1903 the one-room school had nine students and one teacher. In 1923-24, a new plant was built and the old building was moved to the north of the building and later was removed from the property. It was a one room school until 1930-33 (dates are indefinite) when it became a two room school. In 1937 it was a two-room school as yet, but a small building across the street became the third room. This was in use until 1938 when two more rooms were add- ed. It then was a three-room school with an all-purpose room or gym.
There were four teachers and one custodian employed. It was operated by a school board, consisting of a chairman, clerk, and member. On March 11, 1947, it was agreed by the voters of District No. 78 to consolidate with Salem Public. School system, Dist. # 24CJ. The school census at that time, inclusive of 4-19 years of age, was 189. The last addition was built in 1950 with four more rooms being added. It now operates as an 8 room school with seven teachers. a cook, and custodian. In 1957 the daily membership in school was 190. The P. T. A. was organized in 1939 and has helped in many beneficial and useful projects; one being the provision of hot school lunches in 1943 for ten cents per child.